Thursday, July 17, 2014

16 Colour "colour-clash free" planar mode and Hardware Gigascreen

I put a plea out on the World of Spectrum forums for somebody to help me by producing some test screens in different formats. Guesser very quickly produced some files which enabled me to implement and test the 16 colour planar mode. This worked great first time, except that I forgot that the Spectrum's colours are in order of intensity, not in RGB binary order so I loaded the colour planes into the wrong VRAM pages. Oops. Well, you live and learn... What's more, when I tried to fix the order I got it wrong again. D'oh.
256x192 16 colour planar... with the bitplanes loaded into the wrong VRAM pages so the colours are muddled. Oops.


Take 2... still not right, but it proves the mode works - the colours being wrong are 50% me being distracted by baby and 50% me not having eaten dinner (since remedied)

Hardware Gigascreen - it appears to work without too much shimmer. I'll do more tuning once 4 bit per channel VGA is connected up - I suspect we lose something by having no "BRIGHT" colours at the moment (shortfall of the dev board, not ZX Prism)



No comments:

Post a Comment